Queensland’s school education system is subject to ongoing review and reform. Some proposed changes are small, while others are significant with far-reaching implications for independent schools.
ISQ’s advocacy work on behalf of member schools is multi-faceted and includes preparing submissions to governments and other peak bodies on state and national issues of significance that have the potential to impact the provision of education services in Queensland independent schools.
- Review of the Socio-economic Status Score Methodology Independent Schools Queensland submission to the National School Resourcing Board
- Review to Achieve Educational Excellence in Australian Schools (6 October 2017) Independent Schools Queensland submission to the panel chaired by Mr David Gonski AC.
- Education (Accreditation of Non-State Schools) Bill 2017 (6 June 2017) Independent Schools Queensland Submission to the Queensland Parliament Education, Tourism, Innovation and Small Business Committee
- Australian Education Amendment Bill 2017 (25 May 2017) Includes comments on changes to the funding model, particularly the Schooling Resource Standard and the resulting effects on the independent sector, as well as justification for the level of Australian Government support for independent schools.
- Proposed Changes to the National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2007 (10 March 2017) Submission by Independent Schools Queensland to The Department of Education and Training, detailing overall support for the streamlining of the revised Code, while also recommending simpler regulation to reduce confusion and additional administrative burden.
- Foreign Policy White Paper (28 February 2017) ISQ’s responses to the Education sector routable discussion questions as part of the White Paper Taskforce, which is charged with shaping the future of Australian foreign policy.
- Review of Planning Instruments and Provision of Future School Infrastructure (6 February 2017) Co-written with the Queensland Catholic Education Commission, this letter provides comment on the consultation drafts of some planning instruments, including the State Planning Policy, Planning Regulation, Ministerial Guidelines and rules and SEQ Regional Plan.
- Review of the blue card system – Discussion Paper (3 January 2017) Discussion paper provided to the Queensland Government reviewing the role of blue cards and how to strengthen the system to create a safer environment for children.
- Positive Futures: Apprenticeships and Traineeships in Queensland - Discussion Paper (16 December 2016) Feedback on the Jobs Queensland discussion paper Positive Futures: Apprenticeships and Traineeships in Queensland. ISQ supports the ongoing provision of school-based apprenticeships and traineeships in secondary schools.
- Draft, Advancing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education and Training – An Action Plan for Education in Queensland (7 November 2016) Response to Advancing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education and Training – An Action Plan for Education in Queensland. ISQ highlights strengths and specific areas for further consideration for the plan.
- Issues Paper The civil litigation recommendations of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse: Redress and Civil Litigation Report – understanding the Queensland context (24 October 2016) Response to the issues paper supporting initiative and providing recommendations to a change in the legal structure, as well as advocating for no further extension of liability for schools.
- Draft 2, Stage 1 Redeveloped QCAA Senior Syllabuses (13 September 2016) Response to Draft 2, Stage 1 Redeveloped QCAA Senior Syllabuses, consolidating responses drawn from consultation with over 150 senior curriculum leaders in Brisbane and Queensland regional centres.
- Grammar Schools Bill 2016 (5 September 2016) Letter to the Education, Tourism, Innovation and Small Business Committee supporting the Grammar Schools Bill 2016, which was proposed to replace the Grammar Schools Act 1975.
- Draft International Education and Training Strategy to Advance Queensland 2016-26 (2 September 2016) Submission to the Queensland Government’s 2016 Trade and Investment Queensland Draft International Education and Training Strategy.
- Health and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2016 (22 July 2016) Letter to the Legal Affairs and Community Safety Committee, supporting intent of the Amendment, while also highlighting concerns around privacy, administrative burden, data integrity, storage and destruction.
- Draft 1 of the Redeveloped QCAA Senior Syllabuses (June 2016) Response to Draft 1 of the redeveloped QCAA senior syllabuses developed by consolidating feedback from a large number and wide range of curriculum leaders across the sector.
- Inclusion of SWD data on My School (29 June 2016) Response to ACARA on the inclusion of SWD data on My School. ISQ’s response is a summary of feedback provide by member schools with most respondents questioning the purpose and value of including SWD information on My School.
- Education and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2016 (23 June 2016) Response highlighting support for improving regulation of the teaching provision, strengthening ability to protect the wellbeing and safety of students and reducing red-tape for non-state schools by reducing requirements for the provision of school survey data.
- Proposed Amendments to the Public Health Act 2005 (19 May 2016) Submission to the Department of Health on the proposed amendment to the Public Health Act 2005 asking for clarification on some use of terms and issues.
- Towards a Queensland Rural and Remote Mental Health Action Plan - Discussion Paper (22 April 2016) Submission regarding Towards a Queensland Rural and Remote Mental Health Action Plan, supporting the discussion paper focus, while also highlighting challenges that should be considered.
- Education and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2016 (22 April 2016) Response to Education and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2016, providing preliminary feedback for consideration.
- Draft Education (Queensland College of Teachers) Amendment Bill (21 April 2016) Independent Schools Queensland responds to draft Education (Queensland College of Teacher) Amendment Bill.
- Queensland Jobs Growth Summit 2016 (15 April 2016) Submission to the Queensland Jobs Growth Summit - an initiative of the University of Queensland School of Economics and The Australia Institute.
- Review of Planning Legislation (18 January 2016) Non-state schools made a joint submission to the Infrastructure, Planning and Natural Resources Committee on the Planning Bills 2015 by Independent Schools Queensland and Queensland Catholic Education Commission.