Start of Content
Governance professional development
The independent schooling sector is diverse with many organisational and governing arrangements. Governing bodies of independent schools face the challenge in understanding and governing in a complex regulatory and economically competitive environment. The skills and experiences of governors are critical to the growth, health and innovative spirit of the sector and for education provision.
Independent Schools Queensland (ISQ) offer school governors a broad range of technical programs and specialist training, structured modules and short courses as well as customised consultancy services, to assist directors to build and improve their capacity in school governance practices. The programs and specialist training can be adapted to suit the specific requirements of your board and senior executives and are all supported by hard copy reference material and resources.
New and existing directors are encouraged to contact ISQ to tailor an appropriate individual program and to also consider training together as a whole board. Boards undertaking board training as a group benefit by engaging with each other with an expert facilitator who can use circumstances and examples relevant to your school.
ISQ’s Governance Program
The ISQ Governance Program, which has been designed specifically for independent schools, is a comprehensive in-depth professional development program comprising of 12 key modules offered through four short courses. Each Short Course (3 modules) is a full-day of training and can be used as meeting the professional learning requirements of several professional and governance bodies.
Short Course 1: Practice of Good Governance
Short Course 2: Monitoring of Good Governance
Short Course 3: Planning of Governance
- Strategy planning Understand the board’s role in strategy, articulating that strategy and developing performance measures to monitor progress and delivery of strategic imperatives.
- Risk management framework Understand the board’s role in articulating risk appetite and monitoring risk.
- Compliance and policy framework Understand the compliance responsibilities of boards, policy requirements and the development of compliance and policy checklists.
Short Course 4: Sustaining Good Governance
- Stakeholder engagement and networking. Understand the importance and value of networks and the establishment of a stakeholder engagement template.
- Board effectiveness. Understand the elements of board performance evaluation, remuneration, induction, succession planning, professional development and director protection.
- Boardroom dynamics. Understand how director behaviour and the dynamics of behaviour can have an effect on the decision making and performance of boards.
Latest News & Events
ISQ Briefings - June 2019
Executive Director David Robertson looks at the Coalition's plans for schooling, while Director (Education Services) Josephine Wise & Senior Advisor (Teacher Quality & Certification) Suzanne Jessen examine the impact of collective teacher efficacy on students and school culture.